EMERGING Mediterranean is an accelerating program for impact-focused entrepreneurs coming from Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya.
DEADLINE: May 15, 2022
EMERGING Valley, with the support of the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (MEAE) and the French Development Agency (AFD), launched the EMERGING Mediterranean program in 2020.
EMERGING Mediterranean is an acceleration program for entrepreneurs with high social and environmental impacts from the southern shore of the Mediterranean -Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya- committed to e-health, mobility, agritech, environment, edtech, social and solidarity economy or female entrepreneurship. EMERGING Mediterranean is a comprehensive program, which combines financial support, educational support, networking and visibility, and whose advantages for entrepreneurs are numerous:
- customized and personalized mentoring,
- fundraising support,
- preparation for scale-up,
- accelerating social and inclusive innovation,
- exchanges between peers,
This program has been designed to identify, accelerate and nurture the advocacy of Mediterranean “Tech for Good” startups, and has the ambition to create a community of impactful digital leaders. Initiated by Samir ABDELKRIM (Qualified Personality for France, member of the “Assembly of 100”), EMERGING Mediterranean is an initiative labeled Summit of the Two Shores. This diplomatic meeting organized in June 2019 brought together the 5+5 countries (northern and southern shores of the Mediterranean) with the aim of identifying emerging civil society projects that strengthen multilateral Mediterranean partnerships. EMERGING Mediterranean has been selected among 270 projects to make the Mediterranean the Lab of Sustainable Development Goals through digital and to support entrepreneurs and their innovative solutions.
The submission of applications to participate in the Program is free of charge and open to any project leader with the following characteristics:
- be of legal age (+ 18 years);
- have a company that has been in existence for more than 18 months and is domiciled in one of the five (5) countries covered by the EMERGING Mediterranean Program (Algeria, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania and Tunisia);
- Have a project related to one of the themes below-mentioned:
- Social and Solidarity Economy
- master the French or English language and agree to express themselves in one of these two languages during the various events planned by the Program;
- not be an EMERGING Mediterranean Laureate from previous editions.
The selection of the thirty (30) candidates -that will attend the Bootcamp of the shores and get a chance to compete for the awards package – is organized according to five (5) broaden criteria, graded on a five-level scale (1 being the lowest score, 5 the highest):
- Presentation of the application file: a comprehensive file, that is coherent and easily understandable by a person who doesn’t know the project. An online presence asserting the existence of the applicant would be a plus.
- Status of the solution: The solution (product, service) has moved on from ideation stage, and has been developed in a significant way or has a functional prototype. The existence of a roadmap on the upcoming strategy is a plus.
- Business model: Presence of an existing and coherent business model that has generated revenues or that presents first traction. The existence of a consistent client portfolio would be a plus.
- Team: Relevant talents have been hired and the team has the ability to develop the project.
- Tech For Good Innovation: The solution must be innovative, have a social and/or environmental impact that can be verifiable, and contribute to a positive Mediterranean vision.
The schedule for the Program is as followed:
- April 11, 2022 to May 15, 2022 (6 weeks): Open call for applications for the selection of six (6) candidates per country, i.e. thirty (30) Selected Participants;
- June 24, 25 and 26, 2022: Bootcamp of the two shores of the Mediterranean (hybrid physical and digital format organized from one of the countries of the South Shore) with a final Pitch at the end of which two (2) Finalists per country will be selected, as well as two (2) Finalists of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Award all countries combined;
- July 2022 (date to be confirmed): EMERGING Mediterranean Startup Clinic, giving access to one (1) hour of personalized mentoring to each of the twelve (12) Finalists (in digital);
- July 2022 (date to be confirmed): Final Jury for selection and announcement of the six (6) Winners (in digital);
- Summer 2022 (dates to be confirmed): EMERGING Mediterranean Startup Clinic, giving access to three (3) hours of personalized mentoring to the six (6) Winners (in digital);
- 4th week of November 2022: SIBC Bootcamp in Marseille;
- November 28 and 29, 2022: EMERGING Valley Summit in Marseille. Valuation of the Laureates’ projects during the Summit.